Thursday, July 12, 2012

Stop #16: 12th Street Diner

Tony's Review: We ended up at 12th Street Diner by accident, we were SUPPOSED to enjoy a fancy lunch slinger at Copia on Washington but instead some dummy thought it would be a good idea to close the place for a full week...good thinking. So we ended up down the street at 12th Street Diner...kind of wished we just took the week off.

As you can see in the picture this thing is covered in cheese, as my buddy Nick Rouley would say, "TOO CHEESY," I had cheese hanging all over my face with every bite. Some of you might think this is cool to have a lot of cheese trying to hide gross flavors but it sucks and you're a dingbat. Second this had chili and gravy on it (a ying-yang or a toby), which I thought would be sweet city but it turns out it made a detour into suck ass city. The chili had zero flavor and it was hard to tell the nasty oily cheese and the shitty gravy apart. No burger or sausage in this masterpiece instead we had chopped bacon which actually was the best part of this piece of shit. And don't forget the hash browns which offered zero help in the flavor department. And oh yeah there was a stupid biscuit at the bottom of this thing, now I'll be honest I was excited to see it on the menu but when I took a bite of it guess what...that shit was rock hard and sucked major ass. What a waste of a biscuit.


I think this is the first slinger that could truly pass for a big pile of puke so I would like to congratulate the 12th Street Diner on that accomplishment. Probably going to start a Hall of Shit with the worst of the worst to warn the good people of St. Louis.



Tim's Review:
Sometimes restaurants suck so bad, you just never want to go back. This is what I like to call the 2 strike rule. If I go somewhere for the first time and the food is crap, maybe it was just a bad day. I'll give it another shot, but if it sucks a second time, then I'm done. Tony is a little more forgiving than me and he likes to use the 3 strike rule. He will eat 3 bad meals before he decides he won't go back. 3 !? Really?!? The way I see it, after you eat two piles of trash, then you go back, you're just asking for another disappointment. The reason I bring this up is, before this last slinger outing, the 12th street diner got its 2 strikes from me (neither time did I try the slinger). This just shows how dedicated I am to eating every slinger in town.

This is the first place we've been to that offered the choice of tamales in your slinger. For the record, I love me some tamale! Sounds like it might be a good idea, but we decided to go for the more standard dish which came with bacon. Plus, I just don't see the 12th street diner having the best tamales in town. Like Tony mentioned, it had both chili and gravy, and there was also a biscuit hiding under that mess. After taking the first bite, I wasn't completely turned off. I would say, maybe about 3 or 4 bites in is when I realized this was a loser. The cheese was clearly out of control and reminds me of the disaster from the city diner. And the biscuits were just uncalled for. I guess it was a nice attempt at trying to add a little something, but I'd rather take my toast on the side.

So needless to say, 12th street diner doesn't even get close to the top ten list and I don't think any tamale could have helped. This just confirms my faith in the 2 strike rule.   

No comments:

Post a Comment