Monday, March 26, 2012

Stop #1: Courtesy Diner (Kingshighway)

Hello Fans,
We've been looking forward to this day for a while now and it's finally here. There's been some debate on where to find the best slinger, so in few months it'll all be solved. The rules have been set and we're staying consistent with what's in our slinger for the best comparison. For a long time I went with the sausage option for meat. Years ago I had a bad experience when I was in the middle of enjoying a slinger and I bit into a hamburger patty that wasn't cooked all the way. I don't think anyone can enjoy a slinger with raw beef in there. I'm not real big on second chances but time has past and I have forgiven hamburger so I decided to stick with the traditional slinger: over easy eggs, hash browns, hamburger, chilli, cheese and onions. 


Tim's Review: 


Courtesy Diner (Kingshighway) was a good start to the tour. A real classic slinger. There was a jalapeƱo option, which isn't that common, so I left that out. The chili was nothing magical, but it did it's job. The hamburger turned out to be a pleasant surprise and definitely took away any worries I had about giving it a second chance. My only real problem with this slinger were the hash browns. Way over done! I'm fine with the hash browns getting a little crispy on the outside but my slinger was super crunchy. In fact, there's a lot of times when I don't mind my food being a little over done: I don't mind a little burnt popcorn, or a little crispy tortilla for my quesadilla and I like my hot dogs black!! (the blacker the dog, the sweeter the juice...right?), but this was way too much for me. They were almost like those little french fry sticks that come in the can. It's not that those are terrible, but I just don't want them in my slinger. 

So with that in mind I'll give the Courtesy Diner slinger a 6.5. Overall a decent slinger, but the hash browns just didn't cut it. 


Tony's Review: 


We wanted to start off with a true slinger and we made a good choice. Courtesy has a great diner atmosphere and the perfect diner menu. I would agree with most of the points that Tim made: over easy eggs are over easy eggs, nothing really to screw up, the chili was average, I thought the hamburger was very mediocre and was obviously frozen and the hash browns were definitely too well done (which is a rarity in my experience).

The Courtesy Diner slinger is a definite classic and a great standard for slingers, but in a tour to find the greatest it is in the middle of the road. I give this puppy a 6.25.

No comments:

Post a Comment