Monday, February 25, 2013

Stop #45: Spencer's Grill


Tony's Review: Nothing better than going to a diner you've never been to, grabbing a seat at the counter and eating a premium slinger. Spencer's Grill in downtown Kirkwood is doing things right. It was really busy which is good and they were cranking out food and Mickey Mouse pancakes like it wasn't a big deal.

The slinger did the job and my dreams alive that there are still great classic diner slingers out there that I haven't had yet. Starting out with perfectly cooked shredded hash browns and really great, meaty and traditional chili which they weren't stingy with at all which was a nice change of pace for us. Then two well cooked over easies onion and side of bacon and you've got yourself a righteous meal.

Even though this was a super solid slinger it won't be making my top ten. If we ate this earlier in the tour it would definitely be up there but this late in the game it feel just a little flat. Guess I'm just becoming a demanding little baby who needs world class flavors in every slinger.


Tim's Review: I've probably driven by this place a hundred times and thought “man, that's a good looking diner. I should check this place out sometime”. Well the time has finally come and now I feel like a jackass because this place was pretty fucking good. Just think of all the great breakfast plates I've been missing out on. You think I'm too old to order Micky Mouse pancakes?? .....No way.

While slinger at Spencer's definitely showed my belly a good time, it wasn't exactly a life changing experience. Just great representation of the classic diner slinger. No bells, no whistles, no stupid gimmicks like a waffle or tator tots to try to be original or weird. Just eggs, hashbrowns, chili, and bacon, topped of with the perfect amount of cheese and onion. I really appreciate Spencers' straight forward approach.

I'm pretty sure the last diner to make it into the top ten was clayton diner way back in June of last year. Spencer's was oh so close, but at this point in the game competition is getting kind of serious. Spencer's just missed out on top ten status, but it's definitly on my list of places that I'll make a second trip to.

3 comments:

  1. why the hell isn't that cheese melted?! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a quarter of the slingers we've eaten have had unmelted cheese. Not a great first impression.

      Delete
  2. I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! Grillsaison im Urlaub

    ReplyDelete